- Top 10 Tips on How to Save on Your Electricity BillsPosted 15 days ago
- 7 Ways That We Waste Money On A Regular BasisPosted 223 days ago
- Tips on Teaching Teens To Save MoneyPosted 784 days ago
- Tips For Student Saving MoneyPosted 788 days ago
- Tips For Setting Up A Family BudgetPosted 792 days ago
- Tips for Self-Discipline And Saving MoneyPosted 796 days ago
- Tips For Self-Control and Saving MoneyPosted 800 days ago
- Tips for Secret Budgeting Family MoneyPosted 804 days ago
- Tips For Saving Money On Tuituion FeesPosted 812 days ago
- Tips For Saving Money On The BankPosted 816 days ago
67c Cake Mix to Save Money and Feed the Family
Are you looking for cheap ways to bake something extra for the kids lunch box that doesn’t cost a fortune? When you go to the cake mixes and check out the prices of the pre-mixed packets you will find the prices range from $2.50 to $4.50 and have illustrations of delicious looking cakes. they look very temping, but for that price you could just buy a cake or a packet of lammingtons already cooked for you.
I can’t bring myself to buy these packet cake mixes because they are an absolute rip off so I look to the bottom shelf in the cake mix isle for my famous 67c cake mix. Coles or Woolworths have these cake mixes at this price along with other Supermarkets like IGA and so on. I have previously written articles about whats wrong with name food.
I know what you are thinking! Oh yuck! This cake is going to taste awful and you are right! There is a little secret to using this 67cent cake mix. You have to get creative and make it look and taste expensive!. I hate to tell you I have been selling homemade cakes in cafes for years. (In my own businesses) The compliments I have had from these cakes is not far from extraordinary!
The basic cake mix requires 3/4 of a cup of milk and one egg to mix it up and make a simple cake. I always use this as a base but here are a few amazing thing to add to this 67 cent cake mix. I also use a slab tin as I never do things by halves and this takes two packets for starters. The cake will take around 40 minutes to cook so you might as well make it a bit bigger.
Apple Tea Cake
1. Make the basic cake mix with two packets of 67c cake mix, 1 1/2 cups of milk, and two eggs. (We have doubled it)
2. Line the cake time with baking paper. Proper baking paper to avoid any sticking.
3. Peel and slice 6 apples. Or use tin apples if you like.
4. Spread some cake mixture into the tin to make a base..
5. Add some slice apples, a sprinkle of cinnamon spice on the layer, and some brown sugar, the sticky stuff. Make a one centimeter layer of this sugar as it will make the cake caramelize.
6. Then add more cake mixture. Keep doing this, layer apples and mixture.
7. When you are finished we need to decorate the top of the cake. Sprinkle uncooked Julianne apples pieces and cinnamon sugar on the top. The apple bit should look like match sticks.
When this cake is cooked it will look like a professional cake simply because of the decoration. I used to sell this for $4.95 a slice!
How does this 67cent cake mix save money?
1. Well it costs 67 cents…Derr!
2. You can use fruit that is not going to be eaten to stop wasting food.You can also freeze the fruit until you are ready to make a cake. See what food can you freeze?
3. It is easy to Jazz up with any ingredients in your cupboard.
Other variations for this money saving cake mix:
Chocolate Mud Cake
Add good cocoa powder and an extra 2 eggs for a great chocolate mud cake. If you add chocolate made with butter and melted chocolate then this is to die for!
Add a cup of grated carrot, some chopped walnuts, 1/2 brown sugar, 1 tsp of all spice…Add an extra 2 eggs to make up for the dry stuff. If you add cream cheese icing this is so yummy! I used to make these in cup cake papers. When i iced them i would sprinkle some more walnuts for decoration….totally professional.
Sultana and coconut (My invention)
Add 1/2 a cup of sultanas to the mix, some chopped walnuts and half a cup of dessicated coconut and an extra egg. for the topping you need to take the cake out..and while hot spread jam on it… then add a mix of 1/4 cup caster sugar, SHREDDED coconut, and two eggs ( mix all together) and spread on the cake. Put it back in the oven and bake with the top element on cooking to cook the topping.
Your friends will think you spend your life in the kitchen, when all you need is 5 minutes to make the cake and 40 minutes to bake it. I have been selling cakes like these for years. I do not have a cafe at the moment and can share these crazy ideas. This 67 cent cake mix not only saves loads of money, but saves you hours of time! Of course it can also make you money as well. If you happen to have a cafe then you must give this a go!