Although billions of dollars are spent each year over the Internet, you can actually use the Internet to help you save money. While some people shop for the latest fad when they shop online, many others have learned how the Internet can lower their bills and keep shopping expenses down as well. Let’s look at 10 ways you can save money using the Internet.
- 1. Instead of paying outrageous phone bills for your landline service, consider switching to VoIP. Voice Over Internet Protocol works just as good as regular telephone service does, yet you pay a lot less. You can still use your landline telephone but instead of your calls being carried over phone lines, your calls will be processed using the Internet. You still get all the calling features that you get with the telephone company yet you pay a fraction of the cost.
- 2. Almost everyone spends some money on entertainment from time to time. Instead of buying expensive books, CDs, and DVDs new, shop for used versions at online auctions and at other online venues. You’ll still get the same great entertainment, albeit used, but you’ll pay a fraction of the cost.
- 3. While trolling through your Sunday newspaper for coupons is a good idea, you can also save the cost of the newspaper altogether and print money saving coupons for free from the Internet. Not only are there several coupon sites that will let you print coupons but many manufacturers have websites where they post free coupons as well.
- 4. Sign up for emails from the restaurants and local stores you patronize. Often, you will get offers for free appetizers, two for one deals, and notification of upcoming sales.
- 5. When you do purchase new items on the Internet, look for coupon codes that will offer an immediate discount. Also, if you shop at the website of your local store, you can usually use the same coupon online that you can use at the store.
- 6. Buying insurance online can save you a lot of money, especially if you take the time to compare rates. While no one wants to make twenty phone calls, it is easy to compare insurance rates online.
- 7. Going on a trip? Book early and book online. Check out package deals, last minute specials, and sign up to receive notifications of sales from the airlines and hotels you patronize.
- 8. Many individuals have dropped their cable TV service to watch television online. Many of the major networks stream some of their most popular shows online and you can watch them for free. You can also watch TV from several of the cable networks and if you buy an inexpensive cable, you can even hook up your computer to your television set.
- 9. Track your spending and stay on top of your budget by using free budgeting software, which you can find online. You can either make manual entries or register your debit or credit cards and have your expenditures tracked for you.
- 10. Forget the gym membership. Watch online exercise videos for free and work out in the privacy of your home without having to buy expensive videos.
As you can see, there are many ways you can save money by using the Internet. Take advantage of as many of them as you can and see how your savings stack up.
This guest post was brought to you by the team at BroadbandCompare.com.au, an Australian site where you can save money by comparing the cheapest broadband plans available across the market.